
I bought tickets to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" a month or so ago. Just two tickets, one for me and one for Michelle. It was supposed to be a fun night out on the town.
That day was a few weeks ago. The play started at 7:30 in Pittsburgh, so I came home a bit early from work and Michelle and I headed out with plenty of time to eat before the show started. I was just going to go in my work clothes-- business casual, nice, but not formal. Michelle thought it wasn't formal enough, so she made me change. She still felt we needed to be dressed up for it, but I told her that I had a feeling it was not going to be as formal as she thought. Our resulting attire was somewhere in between what we individually thought was appropriate.
Using our GPS to help us find out way, we ended up making 8 or 9 wrong turns, some of them taking us further away from the city than we had hoped. But, we figured that since we didn't know where we were going to eat, we really weren't "lost". We just needed to find a restaurant we could agree on... I failed to realize that if we did, it would be a first in our marriage, and time just was not on our side that evening.
After failing to find a place during our detours through Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, I decided to drive to the theater and from there, we'd park the car and walk. The theater is in a "cultural district" of sorts, so chances were high that some cafes would be nearby.
We got the car parked and took off down the sidewalk, passing several small cafes, pizza joints, etc. I would motion to Michelle to go in as we passed each one, but she'd hesitate and eventually disagree.
We trekked on.
With about an hour left, we were still searching. I had given up on making recommendations to Michelle, letting her decide where we'd eat. It was becoming more clear as time went on that instead of sitting down to enjoy a nice dinner, we'd be scarfing down some disgusting hamburgers like a couple of hogs at the trough at the last minute. We went back and forth a couple of times with still no decision.
Michelle then proclaimed, "Lets just go eat at Subway!" Off we went. We were 2 of only 6 people in the whole store (and 2 of those were Subway employees). Us, sitting there in our nice clothes, scarfing down a $5 footlong so we could hoof it back to the theater in time for the show.
Aside from some mustard on Michelle's sleeve, we managed to choke down the sandwich without much surprise. The sandwich looked like something they found out in the alley-- bread was all mashed, meat falling out, mayo dripping from all sides. What could have been a food disaster ended up being a small "skirmish" as Michelle took the water she had to the mustard stain on her sleeve before we left for the play. The mustard won, by the way.
The show was great. I, of course, also won the implied bet that the clientele at the theater would not be as formal as she'd thought. One guy had on a knitted beret, ripped t-shirt with a scarf hanging around his neck down to his knees, and "Daisy Duke" shorts with cowboy boots. Maybe 30-40% were normally dressed, but the rest came as they were... jeans, t-shirts, etc.
Despite Subway-- the result of our last ditch effort to find a mutually-agreed eatery (and my lack of pre-planning, knowing that Michelle needs a good 24-hours to decide where and what she'd like to eat), we had a fun night. But, my note-to-self: plan dinners ahead of time.
That day was a few weeks ago. The play started at 7:30 in Pittsburgh, so I came home a bit early from work and Michelle and I headed out with plenty of time to eat before the show started. I was just going to go in my work clothes-- business casual, nice, but not formal. Michelle thought it wasn't formal enough, so she made me change. She still felt we needed to be dressed up for it, but I told her that I had a feeling it was not going to be as formal as she thought. Our resulting attire was somewhere in between what we individually thought was appropriate.
Using our GPS to help us find out way, we ended up making 8 or 9 wrong turns, some of them taking us further away from the city than we had hoped. But, we figured that since we didn't know where we were going to eat, we really weren't "lost". We just needed to find a restaurant we could agree on... I failed to realize that if we did, it would be a first in our marriage, and time just was not on our side that evening.
After failing to find a place during our detours through Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, I decided to drive to the theater and from there, we'd park the car and walk. The theater is in a "cultural district" of sorts, so chances were high that some cafes would be nearby.
We got the car parked and took off down the sidewalk, passing several small cafes, pizza joints, etc. I would motion to Michelle to go in as we passed each one, but she'd hesitate and eventually disagree.
We trekked on.
With about an hour left, we were still searching. I had given up on making recommendations to Michelle, letting her decide where we'd eat. It was becoming more clear as time went on that instead of sitting down to enjoy a nice dinner, we'd be scarfing down some disgusting hamburgers like a couple of hogs at the trough at the last minute. We went back and forth a couple of times with still no decision.
Michelle then proclaimed, "Lets just go eat at Subway!" Off we went. We were 2 of only 6 people in the whole store (and 2 of those were Subway employees). Us, sitting there in our nice clothes, scarfing down a $5 footlong so we could hoof it back to the theater in time for the show.
Aside from some mustard on Michelle's sleeve, we managed to choke down the sandwich without much surprise. The sandwich looked like something they found out in the alley-- bread was all mashed, meat falling out, mayo dripping from all sides. What could have been a food disaster ended up being a small "skirmish" as Michelle took the water she had to the mustard stain on her sleeve before we left for the play. The mustard won, by the way.
The show was great. I, of course, also won the implied bet that the clientele at the theater would not be as formal as she'd thought. One guy had on a knitted beret, ripped t-shirt with a scarf hanging around his neck down to his knees, and "Daisy Duke" shorts with cowboy boots. Maybe 30-40% were normally dressed, but the rest came as they were... jeans, t-shirts, etc.
Despite Subway-- the result of our last ditch effort to find a mutually-agreed eatery (and my lack of pre-planning, knowing that Michelle needs a good 24-hours to decide where and what she'd like to eat), we had a fun night. But, my note-to-self: plan dinners ahead of time.
0 comments:
Post a Comment